About 16 oz. of juice

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Green Juice Recipe Perfected!

Here is the green juice recipe re-calibrated to my taste buds:

1 green apple (use a less tart apple if you prefer)
1 pear
2 oranges
half a cucumber
3 carrots
3-4 large kale or swiss chard leaves
a handful of parsley and mint

This makes two large glasses worth. It's much sweeter than the original version and I can drink more of it in one sitting. Tomorrow I am going to try another version of the "liver cleanse" juice, with oranges instead of grapefruit, and a higher fruit to veggie combination (which I'm finding I need to do with most recipes).

I also just enjoyed a lovely veggie sandwich with red leaf lettuce (remember: the darker the green, the more nutritious it is), tomato, cucumber, sprouts, and avocado. I'm treating myself to a soft, delicious rye bread because I was craving it, but 100% whole wheat is better for you. Sprouts (aka Henry's) sells fresh bread, and discounts their day-old bread. It is always soft and flavorful; much more so than most breads you find at a regular grocery store.

Today I'm meeting some friends for happy hour at my favorite Mexican restaurant, and I know I will be tempted to eat a bunch of greasy chips and salsa. It is easier to avoid things like that if you can remain disciplined most of the time, only treating yourself on special occasions (once a week, at the most, works best for me). I will drink iced tea instead of a margarita, which suits me just fine. Pick your battles.

I have recently instituted a no-nap policy in order to increase my productivity, and so far it's going well. And it means I have more time to consume juice! My stomach is well adjusted to the increase in nutrients (especially fiber). More recipes to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment